Since 2014, Solvay has conceived – and now fully deployed – its innovative Product Stewardship Management System (PSMS). It is currently the most extensive product stewardship-specific referential, with clear, structured, tiered requirements , and with a worldwide coverage for all GBUs (Global Business Units). Solvay started its development, because no worldwide referential or norm existed for product stewardship management. The systematic assessment of safer alternatives for hazardous substances of concern and promotion of their substitution when possible is included in the Product Stewardship Management System.
The PSMS Referential, incorporated management elements from:
- Solvay’s Sustainable Development management framework “Solvay Way”,
- Solvay’s Group Product Stewardship procedures and guidelines,
- The requirements of other external frameworks (fi Product Safety Code of ACC (American Chemistry Council).
- The PSMS incorporates all (45) key Solvay group fundamental requirements including : (1) Regulatory compliance management / (2) Product safety management / (3) Composition & Hazard / (4) information on Intended uses and exposure / (5) Risk assessment / (6) Value chain communication / (7) Management of change / (8) Crisis management / (9) Solvay commitments to Stakeholders (Sustainable Development).
- Fundamental requirements are complemented with a ‘management path’ for continuous improvement.
- At the beginning of the year, every Global Business Unit now defines targets for every one of the 17 chapters. They carry their self-assessment at the end of the year to define further action plans.
The objective is to best ensure that all Solvay Global Business Units consistently assess and manage their risks related to Product Safety, in particular processes to track new sensitive customer applications, to improve their communication to customers, to ensure market regulations are fully implemented worldwide or to anticipate risks and sustainability issues such as endocrine disruptors or microplastics at all levels of the company. A version 2 has been released in April 2019 and users confirm it is a concise, easy to access – structured way of dealing with Product Stewardship matters, and a vehicle to ease dialogue across a global company.